Monday, May 12, 2008

Vacation Plans


The other night I saw a commercial on television for one of Canada's national historic sites. It encouraged tourists to visit one of the many Canadian forts built during the war of 1812 by the British, to defend us from the Americans.

An unseen voice described the historical importance of the fort, then went on to say that costumed staff performed daily re-enactments. While he spoke about admission prices, dates and times, a filmed dramatization was shown.

I saw a group of costumed people standing next to the fort, then a closeup of two men in uniform arguing. The camera panned to a young woman, dressed in period clothing, standing alone and looking very dejected. Back to the angry men, then the voice-over ended, and the dialogue finally became audible:
"...do you want one of the last acts of this fort to be the whipping and punishment of a woman?"
Well worth a visit, don't you think?

8 comments:

Terpsichore said...

interesting...though I think I would rather be a participant than an observer...and come to think of it I might not be ready for a whip of any sort yet...still the idea of it is intriguing... LOL :-)

Paul said...

Hermione,it depends on what she had done to earn a whipping, It didn't have to be a lot in those days.
I'd like to see a reenactment, as long as the recipient enjoyed it.
Warm hugs,
Paul.

Anonymous said...

I would like to see a reenactment as well. I think it would be interesting to see how they dealt with their problems back then. Especially a public flogging of a woman which if I understand correctly it wasn't very often that occurred.

Michael said...

Floggings in those days were brutal and bloody and that doesn't interest me, but I would like to see a how they reenact this. A whipping post? Put her in the stocks with her bottom well displayed? Maybe members of the audience could come up and give her a few swats. Now that's more to my liking. ;)

Michael

david said...

Mthc and I actually toured one of those forts on our honeymoon in Canada. To bad we were not into spanking way back then. While she was in the stocks I would have given her a few swats on the rear.

*hugs and grins*

PK said...

Isn't it interesting the things that catch our ear these days. If you go by be sure and give us your opinion.

Hugs,
PK

Hermione said...

Terpsichore - Whips are severe, although in those days a whipping would often be given over skirts, corsets and other clothing, so it would not make as much impression as if the victim were naked.

Paul - It would be interesting to learn what the crime was. Abel (The Spanking Writers) does a post from time to time on crime and punishment. Stealing was often the case.

Pest - Probably not all that frequent.

Michael - Now that sounds like a very pleasant afternoon!

david - Too bad you missed the opportunity. You must come back again.

New Beginnings - Some words do catch your ear, don't they? I wonder if the dramatizations are different each day. I might go on the wrong day and see sheep shearing instead!

Hugs,
Hermione

dwcmike said...

I would be more than willing to visit. Would you be the star performer?
Just hoping.
Mike