Thursday, January 7, 2010

A Winter Treat










Last week I did a little baking. Not for us - it was for the birds that visit our heated birdbath and backyard feeders all winter. After a trip to Wal-Mart for birdseed and MacDonald's for plastic straws, I got out my metal cookie cutters and some scraps of leftover ribbon. I used Pixie's recipe and made eight treats to hang on the apple tree outside the front window. And just like Pixie, I managed to get birdseed everywhere.

"Are you making a mess?" Those were Ron's first words when he came in to check the progress. Why would he ask that? Of course I had made a mess, although unlike Pixie I was wearing more than just an apron so was in no imminent danger of a spanking. I asked his opinion on how long to wait before removing the metal cutters, and that distracted him so my bottom was safe.

The treats came out beautifully, and the plastic straws really didn't melt in the oven. The birds are enjoying them as I write - the chickadees and house sparrows pictured above, and the blue jays and cardinals below.

















From Hermione's Heart

8 comments:

Sara said...

I am inspired...this is a must try! Now if I could get the kids otu of the hosue, I would also try the only an apron look!

Sara said...

and if I had another cup of coffee, maybe I could type! :)

Paul said...

Hermione, lovely birds, I'm somewhat envious!
Warm hugs,
Paul.

Anonymous said...

Great idea! I love watching the birds outside my window and this looks like a beautiful (and really fun!) way to attract them. Sounds like an excellent weekend project to me.

<3
Maggie

Anonymous said...

Really a good idea in winter, but an equally good idea would be for you to only be wearing an apron. You love being spanked too much not to take advantage of the opportunity.
Red

ronnie said...

The birds are beautiful Hermione, do you by chance know the names of the blue and red bird?

I'll have to try this as we get quit a few birds in our garden.

Thanks.
Love.
Ronnie
xx

Hermione said...

Sara - it would make a fine kids' project too.

Paul - Yes, they're always a joy st see around.

Maggie - It was fun and didn't take too long (except for cleaning up :-)

Red - True, but then my project would never get done with all the distractions that would cause.

Ronnie - The blue one is a bluejay, and the red one is a cardinal. I hope you try it too.

Hugs,
Hermione

ronnie said...

Hermione, thanks for letting me know the names of the birds.

Love.
Ronnie
xx