Wednesday, September 22, 2021

In the Kitchen

Yesterday I put the last of the zucchini vines on the compost pile and delivered the last of the harvest to our church. No more hunting for a recipe that would disguise the zucchinis as something delicious. 

The best recipe I found, which I will certainly use again next year, is one for zucchini crisp. It's exactly the same as an apple crisp recipe but uses zucchini instead, and the result really does taste like apple crisp.  It's very simple: combine peeled, cubed zucchini, lemon juice, sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg in a baking dish, and top with a mixture of flour, brown sugar and rolled oats. 

 

Doesn't that look yummy? My batch turned out just like the picture, and we had it for breakfast (minus the ice cream).

Here are some recipes that didn't turn out the way they were supposed to.













 

I hope everything tasted good though.
From Hermione's Heart

5 comments:

PK said...

I live with reality and I'm fine with it. But the expectations sure do look good.

Roz said...

Hi Hermione,

The zucchini crisp looks so yummy! The others not so much however. Love the snowman :)

Hugs
Roz

Enzo said...

Thanks for the much needed laughs.
I love the baked potato / fireball! You could launch that at a building and cause an explosion.

Best,
Enzo

morningstar said...

Love this post today - I have been caught between the expectation and the reality so many times!!!

A 'reality' from my memory was a birthday cake my mom made for my brother (whose birthday is Dec 28) She had found the idea in a magazine on our summer holiday... begged the B&B owner for the magazine - got it and proudly stored it till Dec. 27th when she proceeded to make a birthday cake iced in white icing with candy canes standing neatly all around it... side by side.
The reality was - the candy canes kept falling over...... taking icing with them... I remember my mother in tears covered in icing ... and my father coming into the kitchen with a spool of white thread and while my mom placed the candy canes my father strung thread around them to hold them up against the cake........... looked nothing like the expectation - but everyone loved it!

ronnie said...

Made me laugh. Thanks. The zucchini crisps sounds yummy.

Love,
Ronnie
xx