Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Paddling Al Fresco?



Last summer while we were away on holiday, we drove along a rural highway and saw a field full of wind turbines far off in the distance. I had never seen them before except in pictures, and my first thought was that they looked like crosses. There was no wind blowing, and the blades were stationary.

My kinky mind quickly made the leap to St. Andrew's crosses, and that was even more intriguing. I imagined a group of like-minded individuals, armed with floggers, paddles and the like, gathering in an isolated clearing where a whole thicket of St. Andrew's crosses awaited the (un)fortunate but willing victims. Yes, these blades have three arms, but adjustments can be made.

Unfortunately we couldn't make a detour for a closer look but perhaps it was just as well; it would have spoiled the illusion.


From Hermione's Heart

7 comments:

Florida Dom said...

You have such a good imagination. I've seen those pictures before and never thought of a St. Andrews cross. But once you mentioned it, I immediately saw the connection.

FD

^Mike said...

Perhaps they were not windmills at all, but the vanguard of an invasion, and thus a closer inspection might have proved indeed unfortunate (or fortunate, depending on your view). For, discovered before their beachhead was secured, they must contain – and control – all those hapless inhabitants who stumble upon them. Soon though, they will be striding the countryside, like Wells’ giant tri-pod Martian war machines, administering spankings to the populace, herding them into places of strict re-education, as they subdue yet another planet in their own, not-altogether objectionable way. For now they wait silently, steadily and deceptively increasing their numbers.

Anonymous said...

One for each arm, and the legs tied around the third shaft that is sticking in the ground??? Red

Anonymous said...

There's one in the next town over constructed by a local college and I always get a little creeped out by it whenever I pass by. I have no idea what it is, but I've always found wind turbines kind of disconcerting. Now I can think back on this post and relate it to the St. Andrews cross and not feel so weirded out... thanks for that! :D

Maggie

ronnie said...

Hermione,never thought of them looking like crosses before.

Funny, Mike's comment,the very first time I saw them I said to P they looked creepy,like we were being invaded and that any minute I could imagine them waking up and striding across the fields after us. I still feel the same every
time I pass them.

Thanks Hermione.

Love.
Ronnie
xx

Love.
Ronnie
xx

Hermione said...

FD - It's lucky I wasn't driving at the time!

Mike - Ooh, scary! sort of like giant Triffids!

Red - Yes, something like that. Just hope they don't start turning.

Maggie - They are quite unusual, that's for sure. I guess people think they cause health problems too.

Ronnie - I'm glad I was so far away I didn't feel scared, only interested. I'll be sure to keep my distance in future, though.

Hugs,
Hermione

Master Retep said...

If you had got closer, you would have been amazed how big they are from underneath.