Friday, April 29, 2022

A cheap shopping trip

We all know that the price of everything is going up. Grocery items cost a lot more now than a year ago, or even a few months ago. That's why I had a pleasant surprise when I did our weekly shop. 

The supermarket I went to has a loyalty program. The more you spend, the more points you get. Then you can spend the points to get free groceries. Their associated drugstore also has the same program, and in addition, on certain days you get 20 times the regular points for spending a certain amount. Added to that is the credit card I have, which gives me 45 points for every dollar I spend at the two stores.

So I shopped, and there were certain items on my list -- striploin steak, bacon, trout and cheese -- that were quite pricey. When I got to the checkout, I found that I had spent enough to qualify for an additional points bonus, plus more points for certain items like the cheese. In all, my bill was $210.17.

"I'd like to use points," I told the checkout person.  She deducted the number of points I could use from the total, and much to my delight, the whole order only cost me 17 cents. We both laughed as I tapped my credit card to pay the total.

Sometimes you see strange things in supermarkets. Here are a few of them.









Glory to Ukraine


From Hermione's Heart

4 comments:

Roz said...

Hi Hermione, wow, that was definitely a worthwhile shopping trip!

Love the funnies lol. The poop tarts and coca cola ones are my favourites.

Hugs
Roz

Windy said...

Wow, free trout! Good for you!

I laughed out loud at the uphill/downhill walking grandparents who drank Coke.

Hugs, Windy

WendelJones said...

What infant wouldn’t like a Big Mac.

Anonymous said...

nice that you got the bonuses. I always do the same with sales(buying extra and storing), cashing airmiles when they give you a bonus, etc. Enjoy the steak!
bottoms up
Red