Monday, February 20, 2023

Recap: Spanko Brunch 2.0 for February 19

How would you rate mainstream acceptance and awareness of adult consensual spanking?

Midwest Reader: In terms of awareness that it is a thing that is out there, probably 8 post-50 Shades. In terms of something that ordinary vanilla people think they might like to try or do once in a while: among 39-and-youngers a 6; 40 and older a... 3 maybe?

20 years ago a spanking reference in a TV show, or a kinky character in a TV detective show, might have gone unnoticed by those not in the scene. Today almost everyone figures it out, although many are Not Amused ;-) 

Bonnie: My answer is 3-4 because while most adults are aware that some people are into consensual spanking, they have little personal interest or involvement.

Dan: I think you have to separate out awareness, acceptance, and personal interest. I agree with Midwest Reader regarding awareness. Regarding acceptance, among those who are aware of it, I'd guess the acceptance rate would be pretty high. Maybe a 7 or 8? I base that to some extent on the massive popularity of the 50 Shades books when they first came out. As for people who have an actual personal interest or involvement, I agree with Bonnie - probably a 3 or 4.

When it comes to a F/m dynamic, I think the above numbers drop by a lot, particularly when it comes to disciplinary spankings. My guess is that F/m disciplinary spankings get a 1 on awareness, acceptance, and interest. 

Roz: I would say in terms of awareness maybe a 6? I do think perhaps there is more awareness of spanking being a 'thing' nowadays. Acceptance however, I'm not sure, in the current social landscape where almost anything goes and seems to be accepted. I have a feeling however that few would still be public about having an interest or involvement in spanking. Perhaps a 5?

Rob Allen: Awareness is probably around 9 by now; acceptance is maybe a 6.

Jack: 4 to 5, I asked my wife, she feels most women prefer to keep it private, as for the males, well they could be more open. 

Prefectdt: Actual awareness that consensual adult spanking goes on must be pretty high, I would give it a 9. Awareness of what it is really like to be a spanko and what it entails, that is pretty low, perhaps a 2. I would compare it to the representations of our BDSM cousins, as in mainstream media is aware that it is going on a lot but are so uninformed about it, that whenever a Domme is portrayed, in a film or TV series, she will almost always be wearing a collar. Something that a real Domme would never do, indicating the low level of knowledge that mainstream producers have about this subject. I think that we can expect the same level of ignorance of detail.

Barrel: I suspect the awareness is 7-8. Acceptance is well below, so 4-5. Tolerance of our lifestyle is higher at 6. Regrettably, our circle of friends would subtract 2 to 3 points, making any cracking open of the closet door awkward. That’s why these brunches are a delicacy I like to share with all of you.

Graham: Awareness, high 9-ish. Acceptance of concept, probably about 7. Participation, would guess 2-ish. Curiosity, maybe closer to 4.

Talks about WAG's, who really knows?!!

Rosco: I’m going to say 8, pretty well accepted.

That doesn’t mean people talk about it. Irene doesn’t talk with her friends about oral sex air doggie style or what she wears to turn me on, just like she doesn’t talk about spanking me.

And I don’t share these things either.

Hermione: I think a 5 because while many people are somewhat aware of it, acceptance wouldn't be particularly high.

Glory to Ukraine

From Hermione's Heart

3 comments:

Ronnie Soul said...

I think awareness would be around maybe 6.  Acceptance lower around 4

Love,
Ronnie
xx

SPANKEDHORTIC II said...

You got my original comment back. Thank you for reinstating it.

Prefectdt

Hermione said...

Ronnie - I think that's a fair assumption.

Prefectdt - It was too good to lose. I retrieved it from the Spam folder.

Hugs,
Hermione