Thursday, February 2, 2023

Watch Out

Last year Ron gave me a lovely watch for our anniversary because, as I have told you, I ran out of watches to wear. Together we adjusted the mesh band and I put it on. The clasp seemed a bit difficult to fasten, and the watch slipped off my arm a few times. I thought I hadn't fastened it properly but I thought I would get used to it.

Fast forward to the next day. I had been outside pulling weeds from a flower bed. When I came in, I took off my gardening gloves and realized I had lost the watch somewhere outside. I went back and carefully checked the area I had been weeding, but no luck. I was so sorry I had lost such a thoughtful gift.

The next day, a package arrived from Amazon. It was the same watch, but silver. "In case we find the other one," Ron explained. What a sweetheart he is, to replace the watch I so carelessly lost.


We adjusted the band to fit my wrist - this time with the aid of a video - and again I noticed the clasp was faulty. In the months that followed it fell off numerous times but I always managed to catch it. I never wore it on errands, only around the house.

Until last week. I wore it outside while shovelling snow. I thought it would be safe under my long-sleeved shirt and snug, wrist-high mittens. But no, when I was indoors afterwards, I pulled back my sleeve to check the time, and the watch was gone.

"Oh, no, not again," I wailed. Ron said he would look for it when he went out to finish clearing the snow, and in the meantime I had plenty of other watches now. Yes, I did, but mentally berated myself for wearing the watch outside. We checked the online reviews for the watch and sure enough, there were several complaints about the clasp.

Two days later Ron found my watch while clearing the driveway, so all's well that ends well. I now put a strip of transparent tape over the band and clasp when I wear the watch, and it hasn't fallen off again.

I know what you're all thinking. I should have been spanked for losing two watches.

Glory to Ukraine

From Hermione's Heart

8 comments:

Sore is more said...

Believe it or not, but I'm much worse. My fingers change in size a lot through the seasons, and in winter some rings just slide off. So I managed to "lose" the rings three times so far (and find them eventually). One was a really important ring, and I lost it in my own very cluttered purse, I remember the cold sweat. One I lost and found in a tennis club in a curtain that separates the courts. And the last time, on the driveway but that time I heard the clanging sound of the ring hitting the ground.
Now the sad story, some earrings clasps also open and get lost unnoticed, so I had a pair that routinely disappeared and I would find it later, till once I didn't... but that was ages ago.

Jean Marie said...

I would NEVER tell anyone else how to run their household, but if I lost things like these valuables you both mention... I wouldn't expect to be able to sit...
Warmly, but NOT Judgmentally,
Jean Marie

Erica Scott said...

(laughing) Actually, no, that's not what I'm thinking at all. I'm going straight for the pragmatic and predictable -- why not take your watch to a jeweler and get that freaking clasp fixed? :-D

Roz said...

Hi Hermione,

I wasn't thinking that either, although losing 2 watches could indeed be a good excuse for a spanking:)

How frustrating! With a faulty clasp it's bound to keep falling off. I lost a watch years ago that was never found. It had sentimental value so I was upset losing it.

Hugs
Roz

Rich Person said...

Oh, you can be spanked any time. You don't need to lose a watch for that.

But I'd invest in a replacement band for it. After all, only the best for you, Hermione!

Ronnie Soul said...

No, wasn't thinking that. I was thinking you should have sent it back and definitely sent the second one back with it having the same fault.

Love,
Ronnie
xx

Dave Wolfe said...

I was watching to see if that's how this timely story ended, Hermione, but fair is fair, and love is kind, and "east is east and west is west, and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does."
Still, if you're craving some warm tingles, I'm sure he will be happy to administer same once the rest of the clasp is dismissed.

Georgy50 said...

I might be more charitable—I think the company ought to be spanked for selling mass-produced watches with a faulty clasp. I’m glad you finally thought of using tape to make the clasp stay on. Oh, and I agree with Ronnie. I’d be demanding a refund, faulty merchandise. Never buy from that company again, or you WILL deserve a spanking! Remember: Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me!