Wednesday, September 7, 2022

A Busy Day

Each year we plant tomatoes in our spacious backyard garden. For the past several years, however, the crop has been so disappointing. I used to process a multitude of jars filled with the luscious fruit for use throughout the following year, but that ended a few years ago. The blanched tomatoes, so red on the outside, were pretty much dry and white on the inside, and had to be dumped on the compost heap. We reduced the number of plants from 24 to 8, and really only enjoyed the tiny red, yellow and pink cherry tomatoes.

This year has been different. Our large tomatoes have, without exception, been fragrant, juicy and delicious. I purposely planted several large beefsteak varieties that ripen later, as it seemed that the small, early varieties were the ones that didn't turn out well. I probably won't have enough to can, but next year I might increase the number of plants.

I'll be busy in the kitchen today, making yet another batch of zucchini muffins, and I thought you would enjoy these cooking fails.

 



Oops! Too much salt.




Someone at Dunkin Donuts hates us.



This is NOT my favourite ice cream flavour.


There goes dinner. Cleanup on aisle seven!





Glory to Ukraine


From Hermione's Heart

6 comments:

Roz said...

Glad you have had some success with the tomatoes Hermione. Great fails, gotta love the banana bread lol

Hugs
Roz

PK said...

Well done on the tomatoes! Often your kitchen fail pictures reminds me of my kitchen.

Jean Marie said...

Like PK, I'm terrible in the kitchen, so your "fails" gave me a giggle. Congrats on the tomatoes & I'm impressed that you can!
Warmly,
Jean Marie

WendelJones said...

Congrats on the tomatoes. There is an ice cream shop in the Harry Potter World at Universal Studios that sells Chocolate Chili ice cream. It is good stuff so there is hope for the peppers.

Wendel

Fondles said...

that banana bread had me laughing! I was THIS close to getting a loaf at the store earlier. thankfully it didn't look like the one in this pic :)

ronnie said...

Good ones. The banana bread had me laughing.

I haven't had much luck with my tomatoes this year.

Love,
Ronnie
xx