Friday, September 9, 2022

London Bridge is Down

"London Bridge is down" was the phrase used yesterday to set in motion the pre-planned order of announcements that our dear, beloved queen had passed. Her Majesty's death was sudden and unexpected, although her health had been somewhat precarious in recent months. She is deeply mourned by all her Canadian subjects.

I can't remember a time when Elizabeth wasn't our queen. In every classroom of the schools I attended, a portrait similar to the one above hung in a prominent place. Each morning, after a prayer and a salute to the Union Jack (Canada didn't have it's own flag yet) we sang "God Save the Queen". It seems strange that we will never sing that song again.

Such a lot will happen now. Our money will change. New coins will be minted with King Charles III's image on them. Official documents will be printed with new wording, and oaths for new Canadians and public servants will be sworn to King Charles. Our prayer books (The Anglican Church of Canada is part of the Church of England) will be reprinted with Charles's name as head of the church.

Rest in peace, Ma'am. 

God Save the King.

From Hermione's Heart

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

RIP Queen Elizabeth II

Long live the King.

Boru

PK said...

A remarkable woman who gave a sense of security to all of us. She will be so missed.

Terpsichore said...

Rest in Peace, Queen Elizabeth

Ronnie Soul said...

I was going to put up a post but I couldn't. I'm glad you did. It was such a shock. I still can't believe it. She was a remarkable woman.

Rest in peace your Majesty.

Love,
Ronnie
xx

Bernie said...

If I remember correctly, we had a daily, morning assembly for the same ritual.

Jean Marie said...

Thank you for posting this! The Queen was a true class act! I had no idea of all the changes that you outlined!
Warmly,
Jean Marie

SPANKEDHORTIC II said...

I have been trying, "God Save Our Gracious King", in my head and it just does not seem right. I think Elizabeth will be remembered as one of the Great Monarchs.

Prefectdt

Roz said...

I was so shocked and saddened when the news came through Hermione. The Queen had been a constant in many of our lives, and an icon of stability. She was an amazing woman who, indeed did dedicate her entire life to service.

Hugs
Roz