Thursday, January 5, 2023

A Timely Gift

I have several wristwatches that I like very much and wear in rotation. Most are the analog type with hands and a face, but one is digital. Yes, I know I can check the time on my phone, but I don't carry the phone around all day when I am at home. 

<Sidebar> I once had a co-worker who didn't wear a watch and would call out to her friend in the next cubicle, "What time is it?" every half hour or so. I did tell her that her computer shows the time in the lower right corner, but she ignored that advice. We worked in IT and spent the entire day looking at our computer screens. </Sidebar>

All of my watches require batteries, and one by one, the batteries gave out. That was during the pandemic, so going to the mall and having a new battery installed was out of the question. it was also quite expensive. The last time I had a jeweller at a watch repair kiosk replace a battery, it cost $20. So one by one, my watches ceased operation. Ron helped out by buying me watches for Christmas and my birthday, including one that I could plug into my computer to recharge.

I finally asked myself how hard it could be to replace a battery. I went to Amazon and found several very inexpensive watch repair kits that included tools and instructions for replacing batteries. When Ron asked for Christmas gift ideas I sent him the link, and sure enough, a kit was under the tree on Christmas morning.

After assembling my six inoperative watches, I glanced at the instructions and then proceeded to take the backs off the watches. Four came off relatively easily using one of the tools and some brute force, while the fifth required the use of a tiny screwdriver to remove four teeny tiny screws. For the sixth I would need to watch a Youtube tutorial before removal. Once I found the type of battery needed - the same for all six as it happens - I placed an order for a bunch (they came in packs of 20) and they arrived yesterday. I now have four fully functional wristwatches that I can enjoy wearing again.



Glory to Ukraine

From Hermione's Heart

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the Timex because it takes a licking and keeps on ticking. Much like you I imagine.

Jean Marie said...

Success, well done! Do you have "good girl" spankings in your household? It sounds to me as though it's about time for one!
Warmly,
Jean Marie

Dan - A Disciplined Hubby said...

I tried to go this route, buying the tools to change a battery in my Timex sports watch. I of course bungled it, letting one of the screws fall into the workings. To save $30 in having someone else do it, I cost myself $60 for a new watch.

I also went the route of trying to get rid of batteries altogether by buying a decent mechanical watch. In the last two years, it's been in the shop twice for service and repairs, each to the tune of $200 to $300.

While I hate the uniformity, sometimes an Apple Watch that I can just put on the charger at night doesn't sound so bad.

Sore is more said...

Loved the sidebar notes in html tags haha! The left corner on the screen is my favourite method of checking time as it's more discreet than glancing on the watch or, oh horror, looking at the wall clock. Now, while reading the first part of the post, i wanted to suggest the same thing - Amazon to the rescue.

Right now I'm a happy camper with a Fitbit watch, only need to charge once in a few days, and all my fitness stats in one spot. Also very useful with email/text/apps notifications. If the message/email is not important, no need to make a trip to the phone, wherever it is.
Of course, hubby complains now that I never wear the good watch. Sigh... hard to be a good girl.

Erica Scott said...

I love watches! To me, they are jewelry. I have several, most of them vintage. My prized possessions? A pair of Rolex Oyster Perpetuals (one gold, one stainless steel), both from the year I was born. John found both online. ♥

SPANKEDHORTIC II said...

That post made me feel better about myself. I thought that I was the only person with a collection of watches, they are the only jewellery that I wear. It is nice to know that I am not alone :)

Prefectdt

Roz said...

I love watches, but don't actually wear it too often with having the phone and other gadgets. Love the comment about your co-worker lol.

You know, I never really thought about getting a kit and replacing the battery myself, I just take it to the key cutting kiosk in the mall as it doesn't have to be changed often. Having several watches that need batteries would be problematic though. This has given me food for thought.

Well done on your success, and to Ron for getting you the kit.

Hugs
Roz

Simon said...

I only have mechanical watches and they all work very well. A gentleman I met regularly at spanking parties was given a mechanical watch worth £1000 pounds as a gift. It always amused me that his watch kept terrible time whilst my £50 watch keeps perfect time and the only time I need to adjust it is if a month has less than 31 days.

Ronnie Soul said...

Clever you. I love watches. I have a few, my favourite is one P bought when we lived in Spain 35 years ago and only had two battery changes. $20 seems quite high to have a new battery fitted.

Love,
Ronnie
xx