Friday, June 10, 2022

Blogger Woes

Yesterday's post was inspired by some trouble I was having with leaving comments on Blogger blogs. Since I am the resident techie, it's up to me to solve my own problems. I'm the help desk.

It was PK who first noticed the problem a few months ago and asked me for help. She told me she couldn't leave a comment on any Blogger blog as "PK", even though she was logged on to Google. I'm afraid I wasn't much help to her.

Then yesterday, after leaving a comment on Morningstar's blog, I noticed that my comment was by "Anonymous" and not "Hermione". Ronnie's comment was also left by "Anonymous" so something was definitely up. I tried again, and was told I wasn't signed in to Google, even though I knew I was. I clicked the Sign In choice but still couldn't connect. 

What to do? We techies have a saying: when in doubt, read the manual. There was no manual, but there was a Learn More link in my failed sign in attempt. So I clicked it and learned that the problem was caused because my browser did not allow third-party cookies. That was news to me.

Then I remembered that I had updated Firefox recently. I checked the settings and lo and behold, my browser was protecting me from all invading third-party cookies. I unchecked the offending box and that resolved the problem.

If anyone else is having the same problem, check your browser settings, or try a different browser. Good luck!



Glory to Ukraine

From Hermione's Heart

6 comments:

Roz said...

Technology sure can be a pain Hermione. Thank you so much for sharing this. Fortunately, I don't seem to be having and problems...so far!

Hugs
Roz

PK said...

I've finally be able to get around the problem by changing browsers, but I will go back to my original and try changing the settings. I wish computers would wait until we as before they jump in and help us in ways we don't want! Thanks for checking.

Jean Marie said...

I've grown to detest technology!
You have been a huge help to me in navigating tech-challenges!
Sorry for this monkey-wrench in your gears!
Forget about it and get a drink, or watch a sunset, or whatever Canadians do to cope.
Warmly,
Jean Marie

ronnie said...

Hermione, I had no idea my comment was left as Anonymous. I'm so happy that we have you to help us out. You are a star. Thank you.

Love,
Ronnie
xx

Anonymous said...

Yes, gets frustrating for us spanko's. I use Firefox, with Duck Duck go search along with uBlock origin and Privacy Badger. Also have McAfee total protection and never what's going to happen, but privacy is foremost important.

Anonymous said...

Yes, technology is definitely a double-edged sword! I had been trying comment on your Sunday brunches for months, but the comments weren’t publishing. Then I got a new phone, and it finally worked! Keeping my fingers crossed that it continues. -Wendy