Monday, June 13, 2022

Recap: Spanko Brunch 2.0 for June 12

Do Millennials have a different perspective on spanking than people from the previous generation?

Jean Marie: Wow, great question, one that I've never thought about before!
I recall Eve Howard discussing in her newsletter the younger models in her company's spanking tapes, how this one was "one of us" (as in being a true spanko) as opposed to that model who was just "a thrill-seeker." I never put two and two together correctly to see that this related to their age and their upbringing.
So now I'm wondering if there is a new fetish centered on being put in time out. LOL. If there is, all I can say is that they're missing out!

Alan: I don't know and will be interested to read what others say. Overall it does seem there is a lot of interest in spanking these days or at least talking about it. Your question really goes to the issue of how influential childhood spanking is on our interest as adults. MY guess is that spanking interest is a lot more complicated than just being spanked as a kid or not. But hope to hear others views.

Anon 1: I am inclined to agree with Alan. I am now of retirement age and have had this interest all my life - but never experienced or had any significant exposure to parental spankings. So I think the urge has much more psychological roots.

Rosco: I don’t know, but Millennials have had far more and easier access to all kinds of sexual material through the internet. I remember the days of sneaking into adult bookstores hoping no one would see me then also worrying about what the clerk thought.

I wasn’t spanked as a kid, and the ones I remember being around were mostly pretty violent and scary (including an uncle who could get drunk and belligerent).

So I have no idea where my interest came from, but the roots were before 5 years of age.

Fred Bloggs: I am in my late 60s. For many years just after puberty when my sexual thoughts were all about spanking I thought I was the only one thinking that way. It was well into the 1970s, maybe the early 1980s that I discovered the "scene" and finally realized that I was not alone. To have had a searh engine and been able to type 'spanking' would have been marvellous.

Roz: Interesting question, and one I haven't thought about before. I wasn't spanked as a kid either but have been interested in spanking from a young age. Perhaps it may hold even more appeal to those who weren't spanked? I don't know.

Millennials do have a greater access to content. I think they may well have a different view on the topic than us older folk, such as its acceptability, even among consenting adults etc, mainly due to the influence of societal 'norms' nowdays.

Bonnie: My thought when I conceived this question was that Boomers were flooded with spanking images, stories, and scenes in the media throughout our early years. These were the foundation upon which countless fantasies were constructed. By the time Millennials came along, most spanking references had been scrubbed from mainstream television, films, and books. Those few that remained were aimed at adults and played for humor. One might conclude that this younger group starts from a very different frame of reference.

As I think more about the differences, I consider Rosco's point about the internet to be central to this discussion. Some Boomers sexualized the spanking content they encountered, but probably not immediately. Millennials, if they encountered spanking content on the internet, it was likely already sexualized, thus cementing this relationship from the beginning.

It seems that there are still plenty of young spankos finding their way. We should welcome them into our community and offer to share what we can.

Brett: Growing up with the reality of spanking as punishment, the actual experience of or threat of, is clearly a different perspective than not living it. Unless you've felt the fear, anxiety, helplessness, shame, embarrassment and possible other emotions, then it's a fantasy perspective. But those emotions, and the elements of power, dominance and submission, justice, nurturing authority, vulnerability, humiliation, erotic sensation, the butt, are attractive to some human beings regardless of their background. The Internet has just opened the gates to knowledge, acceptability and community. I grew up clueless and feeling like something was wrong with me. Today, young people can type 'spanking' into a search engine and identify their thoughts and feelings as a widely shared kink.

Prefectdt: My main source of how different experiences of spanking, in the media and fictional sources, between my generation and millennials, comes from following the Vlog of Jillian Keenan. From which I get the impression that the lack of spanking related content in earlier life of millennials is more than compensated for by the overload of spanking material, that is available to them on the internet, once they pluck up the "courage" to put the word SPANKING into a search engine. This was not available to many of us, once we hit 18. From this, I conclude that they are a lot more confident about starting to play for real than the older generations.

Jack: This generation from what I've read doesn't want to be like their parents. They don't want to commit to a full-time job, driving a car is not on the top of their list. The question is the best so far, and so tend to lean that they will not have this spanking desire and in time it will be a thing of the past. 

Barrel: Good question. My bad answer is I really don’t know because I have a hard time understanding what Millennials think. They are so different from my Boomer generation. I do think they have been influenced by more sex and violence on TV and in movies way more than I was. Through weekly participation by our regulars at brunch, we seem to be more Boomers. But I really liked Bonnie's conclusion that we should welcome Millennials, and for that matter, all generations as we can all learn from each other in this safe and consensual exchange.

Dan: I don't have an answer on spanking as a whole, but I do think there are generational differences when it comes to F/m spankings and with the related "Female Led Relationship" kink. I have a younger friend who is a "top" in an FLR relationship. She's told me she feels like several of her female friends are "in charge" in their marriages and serious relationships, though to what extent they are in some kind of formalized power exchange varies. I think for the Boomers and probably Gen X (I'm officially Gen X, though just barely), traditional gender roles were much less flexible than is the case for Millennials and younger generations. I suspect that females in those younger generations are more likely to be comfortable being the "top" in their relationships, including when it comes to spanking and corporal punishment.

Wendel: The Misses is a Millennial and got enough exposure to enjoy me spanking her. That is all I need to know.

Hermione: I really have no idea of their perspective, but spanking still seems to be very popular. I believe the interest is timeless.

Thank you all for your opinions on this thought-provoking question.

Glory to Ukraine


From Hermione's Heart

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This generation from what I've read is different. Males really not wanting to be a male in the sense they don't want to be in-charge, strong, they are showing the softer side. Females, well they are hard to figure out. I know that the female is evolving more than the male and if that means taking charge, well it could be. In my case I just wanted to come home from work, have a woman be the boss of the home. I found such a woman, could not be happier, but the inner me needed such a woman and at the sametime still be what men should be. Over my wife lap, well that is a different story, her spankings bring out the little boy who has been naughty and trust me once off her lap, and once done with wall facing time, the spanking after affects last for several days. Jack

Rich Person said...

It's interesting that none of the comments seem to be from Millennials. I was hoping to get perspective from some of them.

But I suspect that individual differences far outweigh the differences between generations.

Dale said...

I agree with Dan's perspective. The upward trend in FLRs is likely to attract Millennials. The vast majority of FLR websites and e-books involve significant amounts of discipline and punishment in order for the female to establish and maintain her dominant role over the male.

Anonymous said...

So I was born in 1987. I've had a spanking fetish from a young age, under 6. I wasn't really spanked as a kid, neither were my siblings. It was a threat but a very rare consequence. I didn't find anything on the internet as a teen. Early 20's, I'd find the scenes from old movies online and eventually stumbled upon Kindle books and then the blogs.