Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Historic Spanking



Last month we read an item in the local paper about a historic house that was open for viewing. It was over 200 years old - that's not very old for structures in Europe, but it's quite something if you live in Canada - and a mere 10 minute drive from our house. The article said it would close for the winter on Labour Day, so we decided to check it out the very next day, which happened to be Tuesday.

We Googled the location then set out on a scenic drive. We arrived at our destination, parked the car then walked along a gravel path. When we reached the house, we saw a sign that told us it was only open Wednesday through Sunday. Sigh.

Back we went the next day, only to be confronted with a new sign that said the house was open on Saturday and Sunday. By now we were ready to spank the sign writer for not making up his mind. But the admission price was nominal and we were determined to see the $%^=& house one way or another, so off we went, and returned on Saturday.

Third time's a charm, because as we approached the house from the road we saw a "House Open" sign by the side of the road, and another one on the gravel path next to it. There was yet another sign that said "Knock for Tour" so we knocked and gained admission. The friendly tour guide explained that they were short of guides as the students had all left to return to school, and that was why the house hadn't been open during the week.

As we went from room to room and and admired the architectural features of the house, I looked up at one of the windows. "That's the original glass," explained the guide. I peered out but it was hard to see through the wavy panes.

"Are the windows covered with something on the outside?" I asked. Perhaps that was why I couldn't see much.

"Yes," replied the guide, "for protection."

"With plexiglass?" I queried.

"No, lexan."

All or a sudden my spanko mind envisioned giant lexan paddles covering each of the large windows on all three stories of the house.


 Would they make a slapping sound when the wind blew? Did they frighten vandals away? What fun it must have been to live in a house with implements everywhere you looked. The guides probably smiled every time they came to work.

It turned out to be a fine summer's outing after all.


From Hermione's Heart

20 comments:

Spanky said...

The "House of the Seven Paddles" maybe.

Young Lady said...

silly tour guide, Lexon is for bottoms not houses. ;-)

You made me smile,dear. I am glad that you were finally able to see inside of the house! :)

Dee said...

I'm not sure I'd have had the patience to return a third time. And Lexan window coverings? Who would've thought ... :)

Dee x

lilmisses said...

LOL @ Young Lady!

Bas said...

You're right, 200 years old does not really impress anybody in the rest of the world.
But in Canada is it very old. The oldest building I ever saw in Canada (BC) was maybe 150 years old.
I think this was a house with a french origin, so probably the Lexan window protection is the only spanking relation. Next time, you may try to find an old british schoolhouse!

Minielle Labraun said...

I probably would have gone back too. Since I don't know about lexan, I'll just say...Huh, really?

Anonymous said...

It is so funny the way our spanko minks work. LOL.

Hug,
joey

Aimless Rambling said...

I personally think Lexan on the windows is much better than on my bottom. LOL

Love visiting historic houses.

Young Lady said...

This pic didn't take away my spanko thoughts. ;) http://63.144.240.70/~thehpw/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/tim_back_house.jpeg

ronnie said...

I know P wouldn't have gone back for the third time so glad you were able to visit.

Lexan for protection - had to smile at that.

Did the house have a name?

Thanks Hermione.

Love,
Ronnie
xx

abby said...

Hmmm... I like protection against lexan....
Historic houses have lots to offer.
hugs abby

Young Lady said...

@abby you made me laugh outloud, I have never felt the "joys" of lexan...

Julia said...

Being from Europe, a 200 year old house really doesn't sound that fascinating to me, but I know my fellow Americans just love "old" things like that.
What a spanko mind you've got there!

Hermione said...

Spanky - I like that name. It sure would attract the tourists.

YL - So were we!

Dee - Well, it was a pleasant drive, and not at all far.

Bas - I would love to visit an old British house of any kind.

Minelle - Luckily, I haven't experienced Lexan either (yet).

Joey - It is. There's always a spanko twist to everything if you try hard enough.

Sunnygirl - I agree, that's the best place for it.

YL - Oh, what a lovely house!

Ronnie - Ron didn't mind too much since we hadn't been on many outings this summer.

The name? See Spanky's comment above.

Abby - I would rather be protected from it too.

Julia - As I said, it is quite old for us, and I am fortunate to live in one of the older cities in Canada, so there's plenty of history all around me.

Hugs,
Hermione

dancingbarez said...

You are such a spanko....my mind would have went right to the same place.

Emen said...

Just love your beautiful mind :)

ricky said...

Just imagine,
a dark and stormy night,
the wind is howling and whistling,
slap . . . slap . . . slap . . .
SLAP--tinkle!
Who's up there?
Brrr!

Felicia Nemo said...

200 years is quite a respectable age in this country! I absolutely love going to all the old forts and houses when I have a chance. The ones in Quebec are some of my favourites. So much history...so many day dreams!

Thanks for sharing!

Lea said...

Ha! I've never heard the word lexan used outside of a spanking context.

Hermione said...

Dancing - We are two of a kind:)

Emen - Aw, that's very sweet of you.

Ricky - Spanking ghosts! Now I've heard everything. Thanks for the laugh.

Felicia - Welcome! The historic sites in Quebec are indeed impressive.

Lea - Neither had I until now.

Hugs,
Hermione