Thursday, September 27, 2012

A Gardening Failure


This summer I grew melons as an experiment. We have a short growing season so I chose seeds of a variety that would mature in three months. I planted the seeds, erected a fence of netting for the vines to climb, and waited.

Soon we had dozens of small, green, fuzzy balls growing on the vines. As the weeks went by the balls grew larger and turned bright yellow. We weren't sure how to tell if they were ripe, but after looking them up online, they turned out to be casaba melons, with a hard outer skin, and were probably ready to eat.

So I harvested one, chopped it open with some difficulty, and carved off a piece for Ron and one for myself. Sadly, the flesh was hard, dry and flavourless. Ron wasn't impressed.

"Did you ask my permission to plant these melons?" he questioned me.

"No, Sir," I replied. Was I in trouble? I tried to explain, "I thought it was a good idea at the time."

"Well, it wasn't. In future, check with me before you buy something you aren't familiar with. Next year, get cantaloupe seeds."

"Yes, Sir." I had a good idea that my bottom was going to pay for my gardening fiasco. I also hated the idea of sending two dozen melons  to the composter. I divided the melon into quarters, then eighths, and put the pieces, seeds and all, outside under the bird feeder.


 Within the hour the squirrels and chipmunks had removed the seeds and eaten everything but the hard skin. When I told Ron, he was pleased I had found a good use for them, so it turned out that I didn't pay a painful price after all.

Only 23 melons to go. I hope the squirrels are hungry.



From Hermione's Heart

14 comments:

Susie said...

Oh how sad. You certainly will have happy backyard creatures though.

Anonymous said...

Hermione,

Sorry the melons were no good to eat.

Hug,
joey

Bas said...

Now, do the chipmunks and squirrels get spanked for eating all the melons?

Next year better, and there's always the grocery store.

Unknown said...

Awww... I am Canadian too, Hermione and we call them Musk Melons but the rest of the world calls them cant elope and we can grow them with our short growing season.
Good luck next year!

Aimless Rambling said...

Recycling at its best.

ronnie said...

I think I would have told Ron he was right and that you should have asked his permission and could he spank you please so that you'd remember to ask before planting anything else:)

Shame though.

Love,
Ronnie
xx

otk4us2 said...

Ronnie is right, I would advise Ron to give you a good spanking so that even next year you will remember what to plant. I mean lets face it you gave him plenty of reason to apply a little knowledge to your seat of understanding for future reference.... LOL.

HUGS,
Dave

Anonymous said...

I love to garden too. I've had plenty of successes, but plenty of failures too. Better luck next year!

Hermione said...

Susie - They are ecstatic!

Joey - Oh, well, it was fun to try.

Bas - You spank then if you can catch them. True, we can buy whatever we don't grow.

Lilli - They are called cantaloupes in the grocery store, but whatever the name, they are tasty.

Sunnygirl - You said it. And the leftovers are composted.

Ronnie - That's a very good idea. I might try it when it's time to place next year's order.

Dave - I sure did mess up this time. I deserve a good one:)

Cowgirl - At least our tomato and pepper crops were substantial, so i can't complain.

Hugs,
Hermione


SPANKEDHORTIC II said...

I have never grown melons and so cannot give any advice on improving your crop (that makes me feel like a bad Hortic). You could always make a hippy type necklace out of the seeds, for Ron, if that doesn't get you a spanking nothing will :)

Prefectdt

Kaelah said...

I hope at least the squirrels really enjoy the melons. And I love Prefectdt's suggestion! That should definitely earn you a spanking. :-)

Hermione said...

Prefectdt - That would earn me a spanking for sure! But who knows, wearing a hippy necklace might make him feel young and daring:)

Kaelah - The squirrels think the seeds are the best part, so I'll have to make a tough decision.

Hugs,
Hermione

Anonymous said...

I tried gardening for the first time this year and it was almost all a huge failure. I blame it on the drought. Perhaps I should have watered? LOL
Blessings,
Maryann

Hermione said...

Maryann - I think the drought was partly the reason for the melon disaster, even though we did water. It's not the same as a good rain.

Hugs,
Hermione