Sunday, October 21, 2012

Guess the Implement - The Reveal



The mystery implement is a corn cob striker, used for calling wild turkeys.




No, not that Wild Turkey...




This kind of turkey, native to North America.

It is popular in some locations to hunt them in the fall, although personally I can't imagine why anyone would want to shoot such an elegant bird. Wild turkeys communicate with a series of gobbles, squeaks, chortles and other assorted vocal sounds. Hunters use various devices to imitate these sounds and lure the turkeys into firing range.


Here are a few more strikers, all made of corn cobs, although strikers can also be made of wood.






I've never seen one in action, but I believe the idea is to tap or rub the striker against a piece of slate with a sound box attached, and emulate the sound of a wild turkey.


 
I suppose you have to have heard what a wild turkey sounds like to know if you're doing it right. I haven't had the pleasure.

Thanks for playing Guess the Implement this weekend. See you all next week for another Complete the Caption.


From Hermione's Heart

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have never seen a wild turkey caller. We have lots of wild turkeys in our parks, but I do not think they are hunted.

Thank you Hermione.

Hug,
joey

Aimless Rambling said...

I have heard wild turkeys but not the sound of the "caller" so I can't tell you. I know I would have never guessed that in a million years. Another pieces of information to be filed away in the recesses of my brain.

Unknown said...

Well, we learned something new today. We have wild turkeys here too and I can't imagine why anyone would want to shoot them either. Not only are they beautiful but as tough as nails.
It reminds me of a recipe I heard for them once, place wild turkey in a pot with a stone and simmer for 8 hours, throw away the turkey and eat the stone.
Better to just call them in and enjoy their beauty. :D

Minielle Labraun said...

You learn something new every day!
Thanks Hermione!