Thursday, June 20, 2013

Big Love and Carpet Beaters

A while ago I told you about one of my favourite episodes from the television series Big Love. It featured a lot of talk (but unfortunately no action) about spanking. As I was watching one of the episodes from Season 4 last week, I came across another interesting scene.

In the episode, we find Wanda in the back yard of her humble home at the polygamist community of Juniper Creek.  She is energetically beating her rugs and quilts with an old-fashioned carpet beater. Vacuum cleaners have not yet reached Juniper Creek.

Here I must insert a word or two about Wanda. She is somewhat mentally unbalanced and feels that it is perfectly acceptable to attempt to murder anyone who threatens her family. So far, she has poisoned two people with antifreeze, although they both survived. She isn't a person you would want to trifle with.

In this scene, her brother appears and they have "words". I was expecting her to attack him with the carpet beater but she managed to restrain herself and he walked away unscathed.

As for the implement itself, it looked very much like this metal one.


*Shiver* Not something I would want applied to my backside, by friend or foe.

From Hermione's Heart

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Umm yes that would be a no thank you to that implement!!! :)

Ashley said...

Oh my gosh I just started watching this series and I'm on season 2 and LOVE it. I just finished Army wives because well...I love General Holden and his HOHness lol.

ronnie said...

I think we have that series on Sky. Yes, not an implement I would like.

Love,
Ronnie
xx

Aimless Rambling said...

Me neither. That looks like it could go more damage than I would ever want to endure.

Ami Starsong said...

What a horrid thing. It reminds me of the old-fashioned wire coathangers in a way. We have a carpet beater, but it is of the rattan variety and lives on the kitchen wall. Although it was once brandished at me, fortunately it was in jest, because otherwise I would now be in Timbuctoo!

Hugs

Ami

Irishey said...

I grew up with a multitude of old-fashioned tools, implements and furniture, most of which we actually used. Rug beaters very similar to the photo have always hung on the walls of my parents' home, and we used them to beat out the large area rugs that couldn't be washed and the thick braided rag rugs that resisted the efforts of the vacuum.

My brother once accidentally whacked me in the head and top of my shoulder with one while we were pummeling the rugs hanging on the clothesline. Not a pleasant experience.

I am now the proud owner of two of these beaters. I agree, Hermione, these are not tush warmers. They are now, and hopefully will be for all eternity, wall ornaments. ;-)

Irishey

Hermione said...

Sara - Metal is just not my thing.

Ashley - I enjoy it too, although it gets stranger and stranger with each episode.

Ronnie - If you ever decide to watch it, let me know how what you think.

Sunny - Far to severe, I agree.

Ami - We broke our first rattan one, and its successor is used infrequently. The delrin one is unbreakable :(

Irishey - Ouch! That must have hurt. They make wonderful decorations, though.

Hugs,
Hermione

Roz said...

Hi Hermione,

I loved that show! Wanda was a character alright!

I'm with you on the rug beater as an implement. No thanks!

Hugs,
Roz

Hermione said...

Roz - Hooray! Another fan!

Hugs,
Hermione