Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Much Improved

Two years ago I told you about a meal we had in a British style pub. In that post I complained about the very poor service we experienced. Last week we decided to give it another chance, because the food had really been very good.

The pub was in a town about half an hour's drive away, so we went early and strolled along the main street, browsing in the shops along the way. When it was time for lunch we found the pub and went inside. It was practically empty - no unexpected large crowds that day. A server came over as soon as we had seated ourselves in a booth, told us the specials and took our drinks order. Unlike the previous time, this server was friendly, confident and efficient. I wondered if the birch rod I had seen on our first visit was still in evidence, and whether it was still working wonders on the staff.

I excused myself and made my way to the ladies' washroom. Sure enough, the fearsome bundle of twigs was still in the same location. I took my BlackBerry out of my pocket and snapped a picture, just for you.

Our meal was excellent although we didn't choose dishes that one would consider authentic British pub fare. Ron had French fries (chips) covered with bacon, melted Cheddar cheese and onions, and I had a chicken and sun-dried tomato pizza. We couldn't finish the generous portions. The server came by several times to check on us and see if we needed anything.

We plan to go back again before winter, to assure ourselves that appropriate discipline is being maintained.

From Hermione's Heart

15 comments:

Roz said...

LoL Hermoine, that is a fearsome bunch of twigs! Glad they seem to be doing their job of keeping the staff in line going by the improved level of service :)

Hugs
Roz

DelFonte said...

Great bundle of twigs - a good deterrent.
As for traditional British pub grub, I'm not sure it exists any more. What we get here is imported cuisine.

Hermione said...

Roz - It seems to have done the trick.

DelFonte - I didn't know that, since all I have to go by is the menu at Coronation Street's Rovers Return.

Hugs,
Hermione

Meg said...

Glad you gave them a second chance and had a pleasant lunch. Do you have an online review service in your area where you could give them an "improved" review?

Minielle Labraun said...

The food and service sounds perfect! Those birch rods would keep me worried about consequences of poor performance!!

Aimless Rambling said...

Smothered fries, yum.
Glad things improved, the birch rods must be a deterrent.

ronnie said...

Hermione,

Sounds like the birch rods could have been put to use as service was better this time for you.

Love,
Ronnie
xx

Hermione said...

Meg - Good idea! I should do that today.

Minelle - Me too!

Sunny - Yes, very yummy indeed! But so rich.

Ronnie - I like to think so :-)

Hugs,
Hermione

Anonymous said...

Ron should ask if he could purchase a few of those birch rods, saying that we have been making small changes in our house, and that they would help maintain a spruced up appearance to our house. (as Monty Python would say: you no what I mean, you know what I mean"
bottoms up
red

smuccatelli said...

Absent any other indicators that the owners/managers are disciplinarians, it COULD just be decorative. It's a fun thought though...

Cat said...

Hey Hermione...happy you had improved service and a good lunch. Thanks for sharing the pics of those birch rods but sure happy there is nothing like that around me! :D

Hugs and Blessings...
Cat

Autumn said...

Was the service good this time? Maybe the birch was used to motivate better service!

sixofthebest said...

Hermione, today July 10th 2014, I celebrate my 81st Birthday. Yes, 81 years YOUNG, and still PROUD to be a SPANKO.

Hermione said...

Red - Wink, wink, nudge, nudge :)

Smuccatelli - That's another valid explanation.

Cat -I'll second that!

Autumn - Yes, it was exceptional.

Six - Happy birthday, dear friend! I hope you have many, many more.

Hugs,
Hermione


Pecan nutjob said...

In a British pub, you place the food orders *at the bar* and bring back the drinks yourself to your table. ;-)