Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Tips for Writing Spanking Fiction


One of our newer bloggers, Aaron Christopher, is an excellent writer who has put together an amazing list of do's and don'ts for aspiring writers of spanking fiction. I have to admit that fiction is not my forte, and on the few occasions I have attempted it, I struggled to write something meaningful and interesting. But I think that with these helpful guidelines, I might find the process a little easier next time I try. You might find them useful too, so I want to share a few of them with you.


His first rule seems pretty obvious:
Do not repetitiously use onomatopoeia. Nothing is more boring than reading "SMACK! SMACK! SMACK!" "OW! OW! OW!"
How often have you read stories that have violated that rule? All too often, I suspect.


Another rule that I found very helpful was this:
Always have a good reason for a spanking to happen. Even if your spanking is the fun, happy and sexy kind, make sure the one getting spanked earns it. Getting in trouble is a vital part of spanking play.
Sometimes I find it hard to invent a reason for the fictional spanking, but then that's where a writer's creativity comes in.


Here's a guideline that I don't entirely agree with:
If you are writing a story with multiple chapters, don't have a spanking every chapter. Droughts between spankings allow a reader to take a breath, invest in the characters and whet their appetite for the next spanking to occur.
When I'm reading a spanking story, I don't want to have to get through pages or even chapters of non-spanking prose. If I'm reading a book for titillation, I like to find plenty of spanking, with lots of variety. But that's just my opinion.


Read Aaron's entire list here, and leave him a comment while you're there. You might also enjoy reading some of this talented writer's other posts, so be sure to check out his archive.



From Hermione's Heart

17 comments:

kiwigirliegirl said...

sound like good tips to me. i shall toddle overv for a visit. i always struggle to thnk of a reason for a spanking when i think about writing something

ronnie said...

Thanks Hermione. I'll definitely pop over.

Personally, I think Aaron is right about not including spanking in every chapter.

Love,
Ronnie
xx

Anonymous said...

Thanks Hermione.

Roz said...

Thanks Hermione,

These are great tips, I will have to pop over to Aaron's place to check out his writing and more tips.

Hugs,
Roz

Minielle Labraun said...

I will definitely check Aaron's list out. After work...lol. Thanks Hermione- and Aaron!

Terpsichore said...

thanks for sharing these tips...

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for sharing!!! I have a hard time with the first one when reading and when writing. Because while I want some indication of "this is happening, this is how many, etc etc" I also find it rather boring when it's just "spank" "ow" ;-)

I 100% agree on the not having a spanking every chapter, because I read books for the storyline AND the spankings. I don't just want to read spanking after spanking. I need to be invested in the characters. :) BUT... I also have a hard time when there is too little. These poor authors have so many problems from me. :)

The book I am currently writing I am scared no one will like because those into "spanking fiction" will be annoyed that we are 3 chapters in and there is nothing "legit" yet, and those who are not will be offended that later there is. :)

Hermione said...

Kiwi - I hope you enjoy your visit.

Ronnie - I guess if the storyline is gripping that would hold my interest until the next spanking.

Joey - You're welcome.

Roz - I hope you find the rest of them valuable too.

Minelle and Terps - My pleasure.

YL - It's hard to come up with a creative way of describing fifty swats without being repetitive:)

I can't wait to read your latest story.

Hugs,
Hermione

Aimless Rambling said...

Thanks for the heads up. I visited his site and hopefully learned some new things.

Anonymous said...

I generally agree with this. Writing the "action" sequence does not require a lot of onomatopoeia. Maybe two or three and then it's best to describe it through the observations and feelings of either the spanker, spankee, or an observer.

On justification i totally agree. In fact I've written 2 articles on plausibility exploring this very thing. It is essential and on top of that, it must make sense to the reader. It can't seem arbitrary or contrived.

A spanking every chapter? It depends on the story. If it is plot and character driven, then no. If it sets out to be a spankfest, maybe as in a satirical or tongue-in-cheek work, then by all means yes.

Hermione said...

Sunny - I hope you find some useful tips.

Rollin - You're an expert storyteller, so it's good to know you agree with these hints.

Hugs,
Hermione

Anonymous said...

interesting ideas, but like you, i do not have a desire nor need to write fiction. We have enough spanking (or almost enough) that I like to read of real spankings of bloggers, specially blogger friends.
bottoms up
Red

Celeste Jones said...

Interesting. Thanks. I'll go check out Aaron's list. The "how much spanking is the right amount" is an interesting question and I suppose that it depends on each reader and each writer.

Erica said...

Sorry. He lost me at #6 (perfectly acceptable to have the spanking of minors).

K8 said...

These are really interesting! I am not sure how I feel, though, about the idea that "earning" a spanking is necessary. My relationship never includes spanking as a punishment, because spanking is an almost spiritual experience between my partner and I, often because I need to express some emotions or because we want to feel especially close. I guess maybe it makes sense story-wise to have a reason other than "we love each other so we're being intimate", but I still feel odd about the basic premise.

Unknown said...

Just logged onto my account and found out you shared this from my site. I greatly appreciate the plug!

Obviously the "rules" can be bent according to preference, it's just things that I've noticed that tend to lead to sloppy and/or boring writing.

@ Erica: This is strictly in a fictional, storytelling context. Plenty of spanking fiction involves teenagers and or young children. The point of the rule is that if you are going to do stories such as those, you do not include sex or unnecessarily cruel punishments.

I am sorry that you were offended by the post, and hope that you are able to find things more suited to your taste. Best Wishes.

Hermione said...

Red - Reality is more fun to write about, although I enjoy reading well-written fiction.

Celeste - Yes, it does depend on both factors.

Erica - Some people find it a turn-on, so I guess it depends on the audience.

K8 - Welcome!
I have to agree with you on that one, because we aren't in it for the punishment factor. I'd like to read more fiction where it isn't a required element.

Aaron - It was my pleasure. I hope you have a busy day entertaining your visitors.

Hugs,
Hermione