Friday, October 23, 2009

Age


On Spankolife recently there was a discussion about whether you would want to engage in a spanking with someone much younger or older than yourself. How would you feel spanking a much older person? What about being spanked by someone many years younger?

There was a good variety of opinions, as always, but the topic brought to mind something that happened when I was in my twenties. It's a vanilla story, but age discrimination knows no boundaries.

I was working as a proofreader at a small publishing house that was struggling to establish itself. Unfortunately, a few months after I started, the company folded and we were all laid off. A rival company in the near vicinity somehow got hold of our names, and a few days later I received a phone call, with an invitation to come in for an interview.

I dusted off my resume and arrived at the appointed time. After the formalities were over -- I was hired on the spot -- the young lady conducting the interview asked if I could recommend any of my former co-workers from the other publishing firm. I immediately thought of someone who really needed the work, and gave her his name.

"Sam Shaw*? But he's old," the interviewer objected. She was obviously familiar with the vital statistics of all of us.

"Oh, no, he's only 42. He's an excellent proofreader," I countered.

"Well, no, we wouldn't want him," she replied, and that was that. When I reported for work the following Monday morning, several of my former colleagues were there. Sam wasn't one of them.

That sort of discrimination is against the law now, but it does make me think. My husband and I are both quite a few years older than the gentleman in question was. Is it really fair to rule out someone as a possible spanking partner because of age?

*Not his real name.




From Hermione's Heart

8 comments:

SPANKEDHORTIC said...

When I was younger (I started consensual spanking at 19 years old) I have to admit that I was guilty of ageism, older women only. But over the years I have come to realize that, that was a mistake. The youngest woman that I have played with in the past few years was 22 at the time and the most skillful flogger that I have ever encountered. I am 43 now.

Prefectdt

Hermione said...

prefectdt - That proves that it's never a good idea to judge based on age.

Hugs,
Hermione

Measha said...

Several years ago when spanking was really just fun for us TJ and attended a spanking party. I was spanked by a man who was at least 25 yrs older than myself (I was 22ish) and TJ, in turn, spanked his wife. (Again, much older). I had no problems with him being so much older, nor did TJ have an issue with his wife... at the party.

The couple had invited us to dinner a few weeks later and TJ declined the offer. He told me that it was uncomfortable for him, because it felt almost like going out with our parents.

I didn't press the issue at the time.....I wonder if he just didn't like the idea of that man spanking my bottom? I also wonder if that dinner was merely a social dinner or if the couple really wanted to do 'other' things... Hmm...I guess I'll never know.

Daisychain said...

I couldnt really give an opinion on this, because I would never be spanked by anyone other than my husband! And since we are similar ages, the question doesnt arise.
Interesting subject though!
xxxxxxxxx Daisy xxxxxxx

Hermione said...

Measha - That makes me wonder too.

Daisy - I wouldn't want to either. (By my husband that is, not yours LOL)

Hugs,
Hermione

ronnie said...

Hermione, Can't really give an opinion as I'm the same as you and Daisy. Couldn't be spanked by anyone but P. Were the same age as well.

Love.
Ronnie
xx

LU said...

i have only been spanked by one person, my RU, but i have to say, i do not think i would have an issue with younger or older. There is a few years between RU and I, about 8, but i do not think that is really much of a difference. i think having a healthy respect for the person spanking me would be the most important thing.

LU :)

Hermione said...

Ronnie - The same age? I didn't consider that possibility. Good point.

LU - I agree, respect is so important.

Hugs,
Hermione